Types of Mouthguards
There are different types of mouthguards that are made to meet the demand and expectations of the user. As per the requirement, you can choose one from numerous options. These mouthguards cover the worn teeth and protect the injuries that may happen during the game:
- Custom fit – Custom fit mouthguards are made by keeping in mind every player’s mouth and his/her needs. Your doctor’s instructions are considered while designing the mouthguard. After taking the measurement, this mmouthguard is made in a laboratory or in a dental office. After the impression is taken, the perfect fit for your mouth is made from the mold using a quality material. This mouthguard is perfectly designed with complete perfection and a lot of work is involved in making one mouthguard. Additionally, a custom fit mouthguard is more comfortable than any other mouthguard.
- Boil and bite – The Boil and Bite mouthguard is made from thermoplastic material and they are a perfect fit compared to the stocked ones. These mouthguards are available in any sports goods store. Before using the mouthguard it should be placed in hot water to soften. Then the player can fit it in the mouth with the pressure of tongue and finger. However, you should go through the instructions before fitting.
- Stock Mouthguard – These are ready to wear mouthguards. They are available in only limited sizes, like small, medium, and large and cannot be customized. Therefore, the Stock Mouthguards cannot satisfy all age groups. Sometimes these can be too bulky to talk or too small to fit in the mouth. Most of the dentists do not recommend wearing a stocked mouthguard. However, from expense point of view this is one of the cheapest types of mouthguard available in the market. For the poorer fit, users do not use this stock mouthguard for a prolonged period.
Who should use a Mouthguard?
A mouthguard should be used by everyone who plays any sort of sport that can cause injuries to the face or the mouth. Children and adults can use the mouthguard if they play contact sports or non contact sports. Nowadays, even if you are in any recreational activity, it is better to use the mouthguard to avoid any kind of damage to the face or jaws. The mouthguard is actually worn on the upper teeth only. However, in some cases, if the player is wearing braces or any other dental appliance on the lower jaw, the mouthguard for the lower jaw can be designed. The dentist can design the same for you. The best mouthguard is the one that fits well and is comfortable, easy to clean, and durable.
Types of Mouthguards
There are many brands that make mouthguards. Depending on the requirement and expectations, one can purchase the best mouthguard.
1. Shock Doctor Adult Pro Strapless Mouthguard (Smoke) – Shock Doctor Mouthguard is one of the recommended names in the market. This is made for internal shock absorbing. The frame offers protection and fits the best. This mouthguard has shock absorbing pads that help the concussions and create a passage for breathing and also works well with the braces. This mouthguard fits well and the player can breathe easily. Shock Doctor mouthguard is often recommended by dentists and is available online.
2. Tapout Adult Mouthguard – The Tapout mouthguard is a set of two and is available in 29 color options. The mouthguard comes with a dental warranty and in every Tapout pack, there are two mouthguards. They are the best for use with or without braces and can be re-molded. Each mouthguard can be molded up to 11 times. This is a perfect mouthguard for every sport and for every player. Any amateur or a professional player can use this mouthguard. They can be purchased online easily. Just follow the instructions on the pack and wear that accordingly.
3. Shock Doctor Youth Gel Max Strapless Mouthguard – Shock Doctor has been the undisputed leader in manufacturing mouthguards for the youth and they have proved to be a leading innovator in the area of sports protection. The Shock Doctor Youth Gel Max Strapless mouthguard is made for kids that are under 10 and the company has provided 11 colors to choose from. The mouthguard is made of multi material and is easy to use. It is available with exoskeletal shock frame and integrated jaw pad provides maximum impact protection for the teeth, jaw, and brain This mouthguard can be selected as per the personal choice and matched as per your sportswear.
4. Venum “Challenger” Mouthguard, Red Devil – This Venum mouthguard is made for better adjustment and comfort. The advanced design of the mouthguard makes the breathing comfortable during the game. Better shock management and top protection is provided due to the high density rubber frame. This mouthguard has a protective case for hygiene concerns. The mouthguard fits well and is very comfortable. The perfect fit makes the player feel secure and safe. . Moreovere, the lay out is designed in such a way that delivers customfit mouthguard with ultimate protection against any kind of injury.
5. Tapout Adult Special Edition Fang Mouth Guard – Tapout mouthguard is available in a two pack with a dental warranty. The mouthguards can be selected from the 29 color options and there are two straps in each pack. They are the best for players with or without braces. The two pieced mouthguard is fitted on the lower and upper jaw. The straps that are in the package can be reboiled up to 11 times to make them a perfect fit. Mouthguards are made for good performance and advanced composite material. They can be boiled and shaped up many times. This mouthguard is ideal for athletes or players going under any orthodontic treatments. It allows maximum breathability and can be selected in your own choice of colors. The best part of the Tapout mouthguard is that they are available online.
6. SISU Adult Mouth Guard – 1.6 or 2.4 – Colored All Purpose Adult Mouthguards – The SISU mouth guard is an adult mouthguard and can be selected from the 1.6 or the 2.4 size. They are available in different colors and are ideal for Roller Derby skaters. Many other contact sports players also use them for protection and safety. The SISU mouthguard snuggles to your teeth so that the player can breathe, talk and drink while wearing them. They are so easy and comfortable that often players forget that they are wearing one. These mouthguards offer 50% better protection than any other mouthguards. The mouthguard is made from a high tech material that brings you everything in one mouthguard. They fit like a glove and are very easy to mold again. The fitting instructions are easy and one can wear the guard within a few seconds. This mouthguard can be purchased online.
7. Brain-Pad 3XS Triple Laminated Strap/Strapless Combo (Black/Blue) ADULT – This mouthguard is made for adults and is made for the protection from the lower jaw impacts. It is tested and proven to reduce the impacts. The mouthguard has a new impressive looking anti bacterial hard storage case with handle. The thermoplastic design cushions the lower jaw and secures the jaw. This mouthguard is very comfortable and fits well. It can be molded again and provides plenty of airflow for easy breathing.
8. Suddora Mouth Guards – Protective Sports Safety Gear w/ Vented Case – Suddora Mouthguards are the custom fit mouthguard that can easily mold in any shape. They are used only by athletes and are not for night grinding. These are ideal for adults and for kids. A Vented closed case is given along with the mouthguards for preventing the bacterias. They are manufactured by using the POE materials and have been designed keeping in mind all safety grades. The mouthguards get perfectly fit in the mouth after boiling. The vented case is a bonus advantage as it keeps the mouthguard dry and safe. Easy to mold, extremely well fit, easy to set up,the Suddora mouthguards can be purchased online andsued for a perfect fit.
9. Shock Doctor Double Braces Strapped Mouthguard – Shock Doctor Mouthguard is made for improved breathing and available in blue and pink colors. The material used in manufacturing the mouthguard is the medical grade silicone and polyurethane. The Shock Doctor Mouthguard is made to provide protection for the upper and lower jaws and can be used with braces. The mouthguard has all specifications to fulfill expectations of a game. You can get mouthguard online and the best part about it is that it does not require any boiling. This mouthguard fits well with the kids and their braces and has a convenient strap for the games like football and rugby.
10. Shock Doctor Gel Max Strapless Mouthpiece with Case – The Shock Doctor Mouth Guard is designed for kids that are 11 plus and if the mouthguard is used for kids under 10, then it may not fit them well. The shock frame of the mouthguard provides maximum impact protection and is not used if the player has braces. The mouthguard comes with a dental warranty and has a case that keeps the mouthguard safe and secure. The mouthguard is available in different colors and easy to use. Some people may have to try a couple of times to get the mouthguard that fits perfectly.
How to Take Care of Your Mouthguard
- Rinse your mouth before or after the use of the mouthguard.
- Take proper care of your mouthguard.
- Clean it regularly with cool water and rinse.
- Use a dry container or a case for hygienic reasons.
- Never leave the mouthguard in the sun or in hot water.
- Check your mouthguard regularly to check if there are any signs of wear and tear.
- Check if the mouthguard needs replacing.
It is always advised to consult your dentist or orthodontist before selecting any mouthguard. Typical mouthguards are made for the upper teeth. Some special cases or in case of braces the mouthguards can be worn on the lower jaw as well. You doctor can best guide you on selecting a mouthguard that ensures best protection as per your requirement. You should get hold of an effective mouthguard that provides you safety, relief and is easy to clean. While purchasing a mouthguard, do not forget to check for factors like durability and resistance to tears. The best mouthgurad never interrupts normal breathing or speech.Considering all these features you can step further to purchase your required piece. As you gain sufficient knowledge about the use, benefits, and types of mouhguard it is sure that no one can cheat you over the effectiveness along with quality.